With the back to school season upon us, schedules change, and this can lead to stress for your pet.
Here are our tips for a happy and health transition:
- DO make time for healthy exercise at different times during the day.
- DO NOT punish your pet if they are acting out due separation anxiety. Instead, recognize that this behavior is a result of the changes they are experiencing, and work to alleviate this stress by helping them adjust to the new schedule.
- DO encourage your children to play with your pets when they get home.
- DO NOT get your pet overly excited when you leave or arrive home. This enforces the stress that is created during the time you are away.
- DO gradually increase the amount of time that your pet is left alone to help them acclimate to this new schedule.
- DO NOT forget to give your pet enough water....they LOVE water and it's important they stay hydrated.
- DO utilize routines. For example, encouraging your pet to use a designated spot outdoors reinforces this action, and helps reduce the stress for everyone during busy mornings.
...your pet ease into this new schedule,
...get some mid-day exercise, and
...on those evenings when the whole family has to be away from home (...did we mention how crazy back to school nights can be).
Contact us today (908) 531-3674
Follow us on Facebook for more pet tips, pet news, and special offers.